Douglas C. Parker, MD, DDS
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Department of Dermatology
Director of the Dermatopathology Fellowship
Departments of Pathology and Dermatology
Emory University: Department of Dermatology
1525 Clifton Road
Atlanta , GA 30322
- DDS, University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Dentistry, Kansas City, MO
- Periodontology Residency , Louisiana State University School of Dentistry, New Orleans, LA
- Residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology , Emory University School of Medicine, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- MD, Emory University School of Medicine
- Anatomic Pathology Residency, Emory University School of Medicine
- Surgical Pathology Fellowship , Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Pathology
- Dermatopathology Fellowship , Emory University School of Medicine, Departments of Pathology and Dermatology
- Certifications: American Board of Pathology-Anatomic Pathology and American Boards of Pathology and Dermatology-Dermatopathology
- Melanocytic neoplasms
- unusual variants of melanoma including desmoplastic melanoma
- sentinel lymph nodes in melanoma.
My primary research focus is melanocytic neoplasms, with emphasis on unusual variants of melanocytic nevi and melanoma including desmoplastic melanoma. In addition, I am involved in clinical, histopathologic and immunohistochemical studies aimed at further delineating the role of sentinel lymph node biopsy in melanoma and melanocytic neoplasms of uncertain biologic potential.
My primary clinical duties involve the histopathologic interpretation and diagnosis of skin lesions at both Emory University Hospital and Grady Memorial Hospital. I also spend a portion of my clinical time involved in the diagnosis of surgical pathology specimens. In addition to diagnostic pathology responsibilities, I am extensively involved in the teaching of dermatology residents, pathology residents and medical students. I serve as assistant course director for the second year medical student pathology course.
Select Honors and Awards:
- Evangeline Papageorge Distinguished Teaching Award, Emory University School of Medicine, 2011
- Dean’s Teaching Award Emory University School of Medicine, 2009
- Residency Teaching Award, Emory Dermatology Residency Program, 2006.
- Residency Teaching Award, Emory Pathology Residency Program Department, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha, National Medical Honor Society Emory University School of Medicine, 1999
Society and Professional Memberships:
- American Society of Dermatopathology
- View publications on PubMed